Connecting RS-422 in party mode can be fraught with issues. Following a few simple best practices can save a good deal of time troubleshooting.
- MDrive Linear Actuator
- MDrive Plus
- MDrive Plus or MForce Motion Control
- RS422/485 converter
Configuring the MDrive
With a comm converter and the MDrive units you plan to use in Party Mode at hand, perform the following:
- Connect in single mode RS-422 and initiate communication, download any programs if required.
- Assign a device name (DN=”<A-Z, a-z or 0-9>”) i.e DN=”A”.
- Set the party flag to 1 (PY=1).
- Press CTRL+J to activate party mode.
- Type in [Device Name]S and press CTRL+J (Saves the DN and Party Configuration) i.e. AS CTRL+J.
- Remove power and label the drive with the assigned DN.
- Repeat for each system MDrive.
Terminating the cable
Under 15 ft we recommend that no termination is used. Over 15′ (4.5 meters) The value of capacitance should be calculated using the formula above to find the cable round trip delay divided by the characteristic impedance of the cable (Zo).
When it comes to your form, fit and function requirements, don’t settle. Get precisely what you need working with us. We know motion.
Contact us with any questions about how we can help you with your motion application or for assistance with your SEM products.